Fun Fact: Robbie Burns’ future was so bright he had to wear shades.
It may have been six months since the last episode of Scotch & Comics but that doesn’t mean that your host has gotten rusty. Or even gotten himself a Rusty Nail. (Ouch. I cut myself on that pun.) But in this special Robbie Burns Day episode, your host Devin R Bruce delivers an ode to comics. Specifically the comics Stormwatch, FF, Plastic Man, and Pretty Deadly. It’s a guid a body!
- Clarification: Martian Manhunter was in the Nu52 Stormwatch, not the Warren Ellis WildStorm version.
- The Weird is a strange 80s DC book that Jim Starlin did. It’s a strange book but I like it.
- The Golden Age magician that showed up in FF that I couldn’t remember is named Drakor. I can’t find references to him anywhere online, so if anyone knows if he has a previous publishing history, please let me know.
- I feel like I give Pretty Deadly kind of poor lip service in this episode. I was kind of dumbfounded by how good issue 1 was. It’s really good, friends!
- Musical interludes in this episode are: “Motherfuckers” by Murray Lightburn, “One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces” by Ben Folds Five, “I’ve Got A Match” by They Might Be Giants, and “Sattelite Mind” by Metric. More cursing than usual, which is okay sometimes.
Link: Episode 020 on Libsyn
Download: Scotch & Comics Episode 020
Subscribe on iTunes: Scotch & Comics
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged Bowmore, comics, crime, DC Universe, fantasy, FF, Glenfiddich, horror, Marvel Comics, Plastic Man, Pretty Deadly, scotch, StormWatch, superhero
Well, it was bound to happen. My five year-old desktop computer, which I named Apokolips because of a long story (my laptop is New Genesis and my network is called The Source Wall) died on me on Friday night. The really BAD thing is that I was 20 minutes into recording an episode of Scotch & Comics at the time of the demise. No, really. (Remember that? It’s a podcast that I apparently do.) So currently, I find myself with a computer that can word process but not record, and a computer that can keep a lot of papers from blowing away.
I have a new desktop computer coming to me within the next week, limited by two factors:
1. Whenever it arrives at the depot.
2. Whenever I get my next paycheque.
So when that happens, I’ll set up the new system and record something. It’s hard getting drunk and reading comics, but I’ll do it. For science. And justice. And other things.
Anyhow. Just wanted to put an update out there, because I haven’t posted in a while. Hope everyone’s doing well, and hopefully I’ll have a new computer – and a new episode up! – in two weeks MINIMUM. And as a parting gift, here’s a photo of Batman kicking a dude while wearing Plastic Man as a boot . Don’t say I never did anything for you.